Professor of Psychology at SUNY at Stony Brook, NY 1993 -
- Associate Professor of Psycholgy at SUNY at Stony Brook, NY 1991 - 1993
- Visiting Scholar Max Planck Institut Fur Psycholinguistik Nijmegen, Netherlands, August 1992
- Associate Professor of Psycholgy at Yale University 1987 - 1991
- Visiting Scholar Max Planck Institut Fur Psycholinguistik Nijmegen, Netherlands, May 1990
- Assistant Professor of Psychology at Yale University 1981 - 1987
- Postdoctoral Member of Technical Staff Bell Telephone Laboratories (Murray Hill), September 1979 - June 1981
1979 Ph.D. in Psychology, University of California, San Diego - Advisor David E. Rumelhart
Core faculty of LNR lab: Don Norman, Dave Rumelhart, and James McCelland Faculty
collaborator: Elissa Newport
Dissertation title: "Speech is Specialized, Not Special"
Masters thesis: "Phonemic Restoration: Context Effects and Individual Difference
1975 B.A. in Psychology, Cornell University New York - Advisor Gordon Wilcox.
Other influential faculty Ulric Neisser, Stephanie Shattuck-Hufnagel, Jack Catlin,
and James Farber
Undergraduate thesis:"Yakker II: A Speech Understanding System and its Psychological Basis"